Coconut oil seems to be in everything nowadays! And with good reason. It has many health benefits as well as beauty properties. As for the benefits for the hair, coconut oil has been shown to replenish moisture and replenish protein loss in the hair shafts. Compared to other oils, coconut oil is also absorbed more easily by the hair shafts, because of its low molecular weight.
Choose unrefined, organic coconut oil, to reap the most benefits and get the best results. On its own, coconut oil makes an excellent hair mask that’s super easy and convenient for those of us who don’t really have the time to use a hair mask.
Like many, I use a blowdryer on a daily basis. This really wears my fair, fine, blond locks out and leaves them dull and dry over time. Hello, coconut oil! I use it once a week before bedtime and cleanse the hair with shampoo the following morning.
Here’s how it’s done
- Comb your hair into a high ponytail (using a hair tie that will minimize damaging your hair, like a velvet scrunchy)
- In your palms, melt and divide a spoonful of coconut oil into your ponytail, and roll it in a bun
- Optional: Cover hair with a shower cap or some kind of plastic to avoid coconut oil to get in your sheets
- Go to bed
In the morning:
- Cleanse hair with shampoo (or your prefered cleansing product)
- Finish with a conditioner (or other types of finishing products)
- Gently towel-dry your hair
- Melt and divide a little bit of coconut oil into your hair strands
- Apply a heat protection product
- Comb and blowdry